Freedom in a time of crisis: A Greens/EFA conference
60 rue Wiertz - 1047 Brussels
"Freedom in a time of crisis" is part of a series of hearings and conferences on the state of the issue and the challenges the EU faces. This first conference, organised by the Greens/EFA Group in the EP, in cooperation with PEN International - with support from the European Cultural Foundation - will focus on writers: we want to know more on the situation of writers around the world. Speakers include John Ralston Saul, President of PEN International, the largest international association of writers. To learn more about different cultures and perspectives on freedom and justice, the Greens have invited writers of diverse origins: Tahmima Anam (Bangladesh), Kamila Shamsie (Pakistan), Emine Sevgi Özdamar (Turkey).
Welcome words by
Judith Sargentini, Greens/EFA Coordinator of the Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs Committee
- John Ralston Saul, President of PEN International
- Josep Maria Terricabras, Ex-chair of the Translation and Linguistic Rights Committee of PEN International and Vice-president of the Greens/EFA Group in the EP
- Josef Haslinger, Novelist and President of German PEN
- Tahmima Anam, Bangladeshi novelist and journalist
- Kamila Shamsie, British-Pakistani novelist
- Emine Sevgi Özdamar, Turkish-German writer
by Greens/EFA Vice-president Josep-Maria Terricabras.
Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in EN, FR and DE
This conference is organised in cooperation with: